Saturday, November 30, 2013

Validity and Soundness

        An argument is sound if it is valid and the premises are true. I'm not a mathematician but I think I understand where validity and soundness bears on an argument. Arguments are a difference of opinions. Statements of facts must be valid an sound in other words they must stand up to having the light of truth shined on them. No lies,spin or embellishments allowed. This is the only way to win an argument and it should be free or very limited to emotions. I know that is one area I need to work on the emotions,my idealism gets in the way. I'm sure it started with that 1950's Superman TV show. You know or maybe not, that it started with a little ditty about faster than a speeding bullet,able to leap tall buildings an always ended with "Truth,Justice and the American way". What the hell happened ? Truth , Justice. The American way? Damn was it all a lie,I'm not sure anymore since I saw that Kubrick movie quite a few years ago. You know the one called "Full Metal Jacket". The scene I'm thinking of was when all the Marines are marching across that field and singing Micky Mouse. Yep that is the part when validity & soundness seemed to go out the window. My faith in the goodness an kindness of humanity vanished. Will it ever return?   

No comments:

Post a Comment