Sunday, November 24, 2013

Receiving my crow on the way to Nam

Receiving my crow from Capt. Zartman aboard the USS Newport News in early 1972. FYI crow refers to making third class petty officer the same as Corporal  or E-4 in the Marine Corps. This advancement made me a non-commissioned  officer in charge of the gun director unless manned as in GQ by a gun director officer usually a Ensign or Ltjg or in our case a Marine Corps Captain over in Nam. Normally I was responsible for maintaining the mk25 mod3 radar on Sky IV although I manned the 3 other Sky directors at various times. The Sky directors aimed and fired the dual  5" 38 gun mounts which the USS Newport News CA-148 had 6 for a total of 12 5" cannons along with nine 8" cannons controlled  by the Spot directors.

No comments:

Post a Comment