Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Poplar Grove grade school

Many moons ago I did the 6th grade in this little country grade school. Both grade 5 & 6 were held in the same room as was 1&2 also 3 & 4. One grade was taught while the other was studying. It actually worked quite well. That is me just to the right of the center ID patch,white shirt bow tie an no glasses? Not sure why no glasses. My 2 cousins were both in the picture also our teacher was Mrs. Geckle who also had my father as a student. Lots of good times back then it was 1961/1962 and America in a small rural town was the place to be. Kennedy was in the White House and NASA was working on getting the USA to the Moon. I use to get up early to watch the Mercury and Gemini space launches and even run a small trap line for musk rats. I use to get I believe between $1.50 to $3 for each fur I shipped off. It wasn't much but even a penny could buy you candy. I remember one of the stores "Walts" in Connellsville had a pretty good selection of penny candy my favorite was the chocolate, they would break of a 1" square for a penny. A regular candy bar was a nickel an pop was a dime a bottle. Lotta cola was one of my favorites since it came in a bigger bottle. We were pretty poor so we didn't get a lot of soda pop or candy. Made 2 cents a bottle to recycle these bottles. Around Christmas time we would go around after Christmas an drag trees down to East Park. They were piled high and I think we got a quarter per tree. Use to make a few bucks doing that. East Park would light on fire all the stacked Christmas trees and the community made a big deal out of that  back in the 50's and early 60's. Amazing how fast and hot those old dried up Christmas trees  would burn.  East Park use to show movies and once in a while shows on a small stage they had right next to the baseball field. There was wooden benches no backs to sit on and it was fun. They had drive-in theaters back then but didn't get to go much until I grew up and got my drivers license. We did have the Orpheum  theater which I just found out closed down in 1969. I remember seeing the "Night of the Living Dead" they actually had some of the actors for the movie to greet us at the opening. I can also remember the 3 Stooges coming to the theater twice I believe for a little show and then a movie they were in. One was Have Rocket will Travel in Space,don't remember it well I'm trying to forget. I remember thinking how old they looked. You have to remember I saw them on TV in 1930's and 1940's shows and this was in the early 60's. Now that I'm in my 60's it seems like another world and you know it really was back then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment