Thursday, March 30, 2017

Those punch cards and Arnie

I'm so old that I remember having to stand in line to use punch cards at the end of a shift. I sometimes think that was why I wanted to get into management just so I wouldn't have to do BS like that. Naturally I soon found out that the politics of management and the high art form pursued by some of backstabbing was quite prevalent on said shop floor. Shortly after the Allied Chemical merged with the delightful AiResearch/Signal Corp. I still fondly remember my years at AiResearch it was a great place to work in the 1970's and earlier. Oh there were problems but what came later in the 80's in the form of GE under the guise of a guy named Bossidy, well if you was a stock holder which I was he was great. He cut to the bone as they say. I believe I had 32 to 36 people to supervise at the end. Management actually had the audacity to lay off all of those people. I was the happy winner that got to walk all of them out the door. The weird part was I did know about half were getting the axe. They actually didn't tell me about the other half. The only reason they kept me was they still needed someone to run the xray,zyglo,magnetic particle and visual inspection areas. I could have told them that a minimum of three people were needed for those areas but I secretly believe that upper management the shop bunch wanted to try and work me to death with 12 an 16 hour days. Fat chance of that they were dealing with a guy that knew these idiots and didn't care if they laid me off or fired me at that time. There were a lot of good people who lost their jobs back in those days. You see the greedy bunch had figured out that a global market was more lucrative at this time and shopped out work to unskilled labor in Mexico,Singapore,China you name the third world slave labor market. That my friends is why to make America great again is to exclude foreign invasion elements and as POTUS has said make deals to USA benefit not some third world crap shoot. Oh and those punch cards were and are being replaced by good old robots. We just need to be sure that those future robots are not to smart or they may lay all of us off, permanent. See 1987 movie "Wall Street" Gordon Geeko outlines the whole concept. ps also see Arnie movie "Terminator"   http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/elon-musk-computer-brains-ai-uprising-resistance-tesla-spacex-a7653856.html

No comments:

Post a Comment